Understanding English Fiction Course Description
Course Title： Understanding English Fiction Course Code：
Course Prerequisites： An Introduction to English Literature, The History of English Literature
Course Follow-ups： Understanding English Poetry, Understanding English Drama
Total Semester Credit Hours： 32
Lecture Hours： 32 Experiment Hours：0 Computer Hours：0
School：School of Foreign Studies
Understanding English Fiction is an elective course for English majors. Compared to other literary genres, fiction is more informative, has wider coverage, and presents life more vividly, full of variety. Fiction is more representative because it reflects the style and features of the time. In Understanding English Fiction students analyze and criticize English fiction from the perspective of intention, plot, construction, character, narrative time, point of view, and theme. Course outcomes are the improvement of students’ reading comprehension and increased capacity to appreciate English fiction, as well as the strengthening of sensitivity to English language and literature.
Textbooks and Course Materials:
1. Brooks, C., Warren, R. P. Understanding Fiction [M]. Beijing: Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press, 2004.
2. Foster, E. M. Aspects of the Novel [M]. Beijing: China Translation & Publishing Corporation, 2002.
3. Guerin, W. L. A Handbook of Critical Approaches to Literature [M]. Beijing: Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press, 2004.
4. 林六辰.英美小说要素解析[M].上海：上海外语教育出版社，2009. (Lin, L. An Approach to Fiction [M]. Shanghai: Shanghai Foreign Language Education Press, 2009.)
5. 宁一中.英美小说选读[M].北京：外语教学与研究出版社，2016. (Ning, Y. Selected Readings in English and American Drama [M]. Beijing: Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press, 2016.)
6. 师彦灵.英美小说欣赏导论[M].北京：北京大学出版社，2011. (Shi, Y. Understanding British and American Fiction [M]. Beijing: Beijing University Press, 2011.)
Written by：Li Tao